Re: Potential ABI break for libcurl Sun Compiler users

From: Stefan Teleman <stefan.teleman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 11:38:42 -0400

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 04:48, Yang Tse <yangsita_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/4/3, Stefan Teleman wrote:
>
>> > The ABI breakage takes place only in some very specific cases for some
>> > platforms. Depending on how each packager was previously building the
>> > library there would be an ABI breakage or not.
>>
>> Nope, it doesn't break down in "very specific cases". It breaks down
>> the moment you change the underlying datatype of curl_off_t which used
>> to be the semi-native off_t, to whatever you have decided it should be
>> now.
>
> Very literally and strictly speaking I understand your point of view.
> But you should also take in consideration that there are many cases in
> which the underlying data type signness and width of the 'new'
> curl_off_t is the same as that of the 'old' curl_off_t. Where 'old' is
> pre-7.19.0 and 'new' is 7.19.0 and later. So, when the underlying
> representation matches there is no actual ABI break.

I've already explained three times that there already exists such a
native datatype and it is called off_t, and using it creates zero
possibility of ABI breakage with CURL releases prior to 7.19.0. But
you insist on using three different types. OK, well, I don't see the
point of continuing.

--Stefan

--
Stefan Teleman