Re: curl --help

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 22:39:28 -0600

On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 05:05:46AM +0200, Guenter wrote:
> I know that it would require a terrible #ifdef horror - but nevertheless
> I think it might be confusing for normal users to see the bunch of
> options which 'curl --help' displays while probably half of them are not
> valid because of the way how curl was build ....
>
> what think others about that?

True, but since curl can be linked to a completely different libcurl at run
time, removing the options at compile time won't be reliable. Some could be
easily removed at run time instead by checking the libcurl --features, but
others can only be checked by checking the output of the corresponding
curl_easy_setopt call. What might be more useful is having curl display a
warning if a curl_easy_setopt call returns CURLE_FAILED_INIT (or any other
error code, actually).

>>> Dan