How to *securely* delete a file

From: Angus March <angus_at_uducat.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 16:38:17 -0400

I need to download a file through FTP, and then delete the file.
However, it is very important that this file only be deleted after a
successful transfer. Which means if there's and error, or for whatever
reason the file hasn't transfered, the delete operation should be by-passed.
    One obvious way to achieve the delete in a perfect world would
involve this:

headerlist = curl_slist_append(headerlist, "DELE the_file");
curl_easy_setopt(curl, CURLOPT_POSTQUOTE, headerlist);

but I don't know what would happen in the event of a download failure.
Would the delete go through anyway? Should I download the file, verify
it's presence and size and only then issue another command to delete
file? I'm not quite sure how I would issue a lone command to delete a
file in libcurl.