Re: Help on usinig Curl on vxwrks

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 11:42:35 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 25 May 2009, Amit Misra wrote:

> I am trying to integrate curl-library with the software on an embedded
> system running on VxWorks 6.2. The ultimate goal is to use the curl Library
> calls from this code. It is an embedded system and hence I am doing cross
> compilation.

Cross-compilation or not makes very little difference.

> Here is what I am going to do:
> 1. Get the curl code for one of the OS from the list given in the download
> wizard

Don't. The packages provided for particular operating systems are primarily
binaries for those, you don't want that. You want the main and full source
code package.

> 2. Make the necessary changes in the code and makefile for it to work with
> my system. (Hope it would not require too many changes.)

It really depends on your compiler (setup) and what primitives your operating
system provides. AFAIK, vxworks has an optional POSIX layer that might reduce
the amount of necessary work.

> I do not want to go for the OS independent version as I feel, porting from a
> code base which is close to VxWorks would be easier than starting with the
> full blown OS independent version and pruning it down.

The "independent version" is the full version that is made to get built to all
those versions libcurl can run on. That's the version you want to base any
such work on.

I guess you could get inspired with how the windows port is made, the symbian
one or the riscos one. They have their own hand-made lib/config-[os].h file
that defines it's setup and then basically the rest of the library code should
remain untouched.