Re: [curl 7.19.5] consfigure & struct timeval on VMS

From: John E. Malmberg <wb8tyw_at_qsl.net>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 23:28:24 -0500

Yang Tse wrote:
> 2009/5/30, John E. Malmberg wrote:
>
>> I am attempting to build curl 7.19.5 on VMS after successfully building
>> 7.18.1 last year or so.
>
> I suppose that you are aware of the VMS specific build scripts in the
> curl/packages/vms subdirectory. Any chance you used these scripts last
> time?

Yes I am aware of them, and no I did not use them.

I need a curl that is compatible with the GNV (GNU on VMS) system with a
VMS shared image for libcurl.

Current versions of VMS ship with LDAP and Kerberos built in, and the
VMS specific build scripts do not handle that. Libz is available for
the GNV environment as a shared image.

This is what I am building now.

EAGLE> bash
bash$ curl --version
curl 7.19.5 (alpha-dec-vms) libcurl/7.19.5 OpenSSL/0.9.7e zlib/1.2.3
Protocols: tftp ftp telnet dict ldap http file https ftps
Features: GSS-Negotiate IPv6 Largefile NTLM SSL libz

I have been in touch with Marty Kuhrt about some changes that are needed
for those based on my building 7.18.1. Apparently he has not had time
to update those scripts.

> Did you really succeed in running the configure script as provided in
> 7.18.1? Or did you use some VMS special auto-tools and built the
> configure script running buildconf?

I used the configure script as provided with 7.18.1.

The last time I tried, the GNV tools could not build configure scripts.
  Too many issues to list here now.

>> [...]
>> From reading the archives of this list, I see that it is not recommended to
>> define the macro _X_OPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED.
>
> If simply defining it when running configure allows it to finish with
> no additional problem I don't see why it should be discouraged for
> that specific configuration. At most the only implication would be
> that you might also need to define it when compiling the program using
> the library to get the same definitions from curl.h

I just was bringing this up in case someone was interested in making the
configure scripts more robust.

It is just one of many hacks that I have to do to run a typical
configure script on VMS.

Regards,
-John
wb8tyw_at_qsl.net