Re: SCTP anyone?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 15:12:26 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 1 Jun 2009, Gisle Vanem wrote:

> I there any plans or ideas to incorporate support for SCTP into libcurl?
> AFAICS there are several SCTP implementations for Linux and also for Win32
> [1]. I took a look at this API [2] and noticed first it didn't resemble
> Berkley sockets at all. That makes it a bit hard to code into libcurl I
> think.

But that's a user-land implementation. Surely the in-kernel version has to be
more similar to TCP than so? I checked out the examples in this article:

         http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-sctp/

Of course, I'm quite sure it is bound to differ more between platforms than
traditional TCP/UDP do.

> So is there any use for SCTP in libcurl? And what about an url-scheme for
> it? "http-sctp:// " or something...

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-natarajan-http-over-sctp-01 is the draft work
for HTTP over SCTP and

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wood-tae-specifying-uri-transports-06
suggests a way to specify "transport mechanisms in Uniform Resource
Identifiers".

From what I've understood, things such as Pipelining is more or less already
provided by SCTP natively. I think Mark Nottingham mentioned that in his
http://daniel.haxx.se/blog/2009/04/22/http-status-report/

As far as implementation goes, I figure a good start would be to make the
sws.c test suite server to function with SCTP and then clone set of tests to
use the http-sctp URL of choice to see how it works...