Re: packaging

From: Michael Wood <esiotrot_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 23:14:48 +0200

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 10:26 PM, Thufir <hawat.thufir_at_gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> I'm not clear on the flow chart here.  Previously I (somewhat randomly)
> built and installed an RPM which in turn installed a JAR onto my system
> (Fedora).  However, I *think* that I'm only really after the JAR so that
> I can use the ABI in my Java code as I would any other Java library.

This is not line "any other Java library". Most Java libraries do not
rely on JNI to talk to native code. Since curl-java is a Java wrapper
for the cURL library (which is a C library) it uses JNI. This is why
you need those .so files as well. As I said in the other thread, the
Jar file by itself is not enough.

> That test.java class looks exactly like what I'm after.
>
> I'll probably rebuild the RPM, not that big of a deal, but I don't really
> understand the point of making an RPM out of cURL as cURL is already

This is not an RPM of cURL, it's an RPM of curl-java (including the
Jar and the .so files it depends on.) The RPM packages them all up
together so that they can be installed/uninstalled/upgraded as a unit.

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot_at_gmail.com>