Re: packaging

From: Thufir <hawat.thufir_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 20:05:58 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 03 Jun 2009 10:50:58 +0200, Patrick Monnerat wrote:

> Guenter wrote:
>
>> shouldnt we now also re-organize the files in SVN into subdirs to
> reflect the new structure?
>
> I don't think so. I managed the makefiles to avoid using the directory
> tree in usage with java, keeping the "configure+make+make install"
> strategy, because we (i.e.: non-java programmers) are all more familiar
> with this "gnu" approach. In particular, I would avoid using things like
> ant and/or eclipse for compiling this little thing ! You probably have
> to tune the non-automake makefiles a little bit, but I took care about
> them without being able to test !
>
> Patrick

So long as the resulting JAR has the correct manifest and structure, it's
all good.

In any event, I ran into some path problems in building the RPM because,
to get the latest Java code, I used:

wget http://dev.gknw.com/viewvc/curl-java-root.tar.gz

and then ran buildconf to create the configure script, however, I was out
of my depth because eventually I ran into:

[makerpm_at_arrakis ~]$ rpmbuild -ba ~/rpmbuild/SPECS/curl-java.spec
Executing(%prep): /bin/sh -e /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.LZDZDz
+ umask 022
+ cd /home/makerpm/rpmbuild/BUILD
+ LANG=C
+ export LANG
+ unset DISPLAY
+ cd /home/makerpm/rpmbuild/BUILD
+ rm -rf curl-java-0.2.3
+ /usr/bin/gzip -dc /home/makerpm/rpmbuild/SOURCES/curl-java-0.2.3.tar.gz
+ /bin/tar -xf -
+ STATUS=0
+ '[' 0 -ne 0 ']'
+ cd curl-java-0.2.3
/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.LZDZDz: line 35: cd: curl-java-0.2.3: No such file or
directory
error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.LZDZDz (%prep)

RPM build errors:
    Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.LZDZDz (%prep)
[makerpm_at_arrakis ~]$

Which, I *think* is an artifact of how the tarball was obtained (?).
Previously I had downloaded from:

http://www.gknw.net/mirror/curl/curl_java/

However, the downloads there are no longer current. Admittedly I'm a bit
out of my depth here, but I believe that the path problems can be
attributed to the tarball.

(I tried fiddling with curl-java.spec to fix path problems, but didn't
really get anywhere.)

thanks,

Thufir