RE: packaging

From: Patrick Monnerat <Patrick.Monnerat_at_datasphere.ch>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 11:18:39 +0200

> In any event, I ran into some path problems in building the RPM
because,
to get the latest Java code, I used:

> wget http://dev.gknw.com/viewvc/curl-java-root.tar.gz

Thufir, I think you are mixing RPMs, tarballs and SVN:

1) The URL Guenter gave you is not the one above. If you really want to
use tarball dynamic generation feature of ViewVC directly from wget, use
URL
http://dev.gknw.com/viewvc/curl-java-root.tar.gz?root=curl-java&parent=1
&view=tar. But be aware this is definitely not a distribution tarball.
In particular, it contains the whole SVN directory structure and
buildconf has not yet been applied to the contents.

2) You are trying to use the old spec file with the new non-distro
tarball.

To generate everything you need, you have to:
_ Unpack the tarball above,
_ cd to the trunk in extracted directory (curl-java/trunk)
_ Be sure you have Sun JDK installed
_ ./buildconf; configure; make dist

You will then find a tarball and a spec file in the current directory.
Use them to build your new RPMs

Anyway, these are neither libcurl related problems, nor curl-java
problems, and I do not think this list is a good place to discuss SVN
usage and/or RPM spec files further. If these explanations are not
sufficient, please find a local RPM guru or use the traditional
"configure; make; make install" instead of going through an RPM.

Patrick