Re: FTP Keep Alive option

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 09:13:41 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 4 Jun 2009, Sandeep R M wrote:

> It so happens that my server times out every 120 seconds and the frequency
> at which I download is around 300 seconds, so every time a new connection is
> being created to the same server for a file download.
>
> I googled a lot in archives but didn't find any suitable solution. It would
> be of great help if anyone can guide me. Thank you. Have a Nice Day.

There's really no secrets here. You either make sure you send FTP commands
with less than 120 seconds interval, or you live with the fact that the server
has closed the connection between the transfers. Of course, the server could
easily change its idle-detect time to 100, or 40 or 200 at any given time...

If you have 300 seconds idleness, I don't see why you consider the very small
re-connection time to be a major issue. You'd surely otherwise waste more
resources trying to maintain the connection.