Re: Deleting a file after FTP download

From: Guenter <lists_at_gknw.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 16:38:32 +0200

Hi,
Mueller, Alexander schrieb:
> Now I have a server where I tested RM in all kinds of combination, it
> does not work. Out of despair I tested many things, and found out thet
> “DELE <file>” does it. But why ? How can I find out by asking the server ?
I would say DELE is the right thing, and should be supported by almost
every ftp server; also IIRC the quote command is executed before any
other actions, I think you need to preceed the quote command with - like
-Q '-DELE ...' so that the quote command is executed afterwards if you
want to first download, and then delete.

> A big problem is that this “RM” is not documented in the RFC 959
> (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc959). But DELE is ….what is “RM” ? Where
> can I read more about this command ?
you best bet is if you login with a ftp client, and ask the server for
'help', this lists all available commands.

Günter.