OpenSolaris's pkg(1) client

From: <johansen_at_sun.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 16:26:11 -0700

On Fri, Aug 07, 2009 at 05:49:59PM -0400, Mohun Biswas wrote:
> johansen_at_sun.com wrote:
>> OpenSolaris is making use of this code pretty heavily now. We picked
>> libcurl for the packaging client because it allowed us to perform
>> pipelined downloads.
>
> Sorry to hijack the thread but ... it seems you're making heavier, and
> more production-quality, use of pipelining than anyone else to date.
> Since it's for OpenSolaris I assume your packaging tool is also open
> source? Any chance you could point to the code as an example of how to
> use pipelining, or contribute a working fragment for the libcurl
> docs/examples area?

Using pipelining turned out to be pretty easy. All I had to do was
enable an option on the multi-handle. I ran a bunch of different
performance tests before settling on the approach that we use now.
There are a number of different ways to design a system that uses the
multi-interface.

If you want to browse the code on the web, it's in Python. The project
is using pycurl and the pycurl parts are in the transport/ directory of
the pkg project. Here's a URL that points there:

http://src.opensolaris.org/source/search?q=&defs=&refs=&path=transport&hist=&project=%2Fpkg

If you'd rather check the source out of our gate, it's available using
mercurial:

$ hg clone ssh://anon@opensolaris.org/hg/pkg/gate pgate

Should work.

HTH,