Re: Threaded resolver spins bug + patch

From: Jamie Lokier <jamie_at_shareable.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 13:33:54 +0100

Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Aug 2009, Constantine Sapuntzakis wrote:
>
> Please don't top-post.
>
> >Once the simplification is done, the code can be ported to Linux/Mac OS X
> >fairly easily:
>
> I must admit I'm a looser for portable code and solutions in general, but I
> want to stress that I don't want to see this threaded approach done in
> other operating systems. I want to push people not happy with the default
> resolves go the c-ares route instead, and if that isn't good enough we fix
> c-ares to become good enough...

Why would c-ares be fine for other operating systems but not good
enough for Windows?

The OP mentioned needing to resolve Windows local domain suffixes, but
other OSes also have local name resolution rules. Doesn't that mean
c-ares needs to support those for the same reasons? For example,
*.local does Multicast DNS on some systems. (Maybe that's even what
the Windows requirement was about?)

-- Jamie