Re: How to install latest version of libcurl

From: Ralph Mitchell <ralphmitchell_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 11:24:34 -0500

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 5:30 AM, Kamil Dudka <kdudka_at_redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday 12 of August 2009 11:02:54 Raghu PV wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Recently i started using libcurl 7.15.5 version on Redhat Linux 5 system
> > perform HTTP POST for upload test.
> > I find some issues with libcurl 7.15.5 for multithreaded upload using
> > pthreads in Linux.
> >
> > I would like to install latest version of libcurl (7.19.5) for Redhat
> Linux
> > 5 system. Since am quite new to using libcurl,
> > i would request anyone who has knowledge about this to list the
> > procedure(commands) used to build the latest version from source?
>
> Generally you have two choices:
>
> 1) Install it as a RPM package. You can try to build RPM yourself from
> using
> a SRPM package.
>
> 2) Install the upstream version directly (independently on your distro) -
> in
> this case its highly recommended to configure with --prefix=/usr/local to
> avoid clash with the files managed by rpm. You can follow the instructions
> here: http://curl.haxx.se/docs/install.html

When installing from source, if you specify the version number in the
prefix, you could have multiple versions installed in /usr/local:

     ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/curl-7.19.5

The install step creates all the necessary directories:

     /usr/local/curl-7.19.5/bin
     /usr/local/curl-7.19.5/lib

etc.I had about 10 or 12 copies installed one time, while I was trying to
track down an issue with the curl executable. This structure also fits
nicely with testing a new release of curl before pushing it out into
production.

Ralph Mitchell