Re: Threaded resolver spins bug + patch

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 14:05:04 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009, Jamie Lokier wrote:

>> But don't worry. As long as there is people willing to help out and
>> maintain the threaded resolver we will keep it. And as long c-ares isn't
>> capable of transparently replace the system resolver it really isn't as
>> good as I'd like it to be...
>
> Note that Linux has similar name resolution features as Windows, like MDNS
> for local resolution - take a look at /etc/nsswitch.conf. Also third party
> modules can be added.
>
> I don't see any way for c-ares to mimic the full functionality of
> /etc/nsswitch.conf, except by calling libc's code.

While I know the amount of challanges is huge, I really cannot see how we ever
can be happy with a situation where we cannot resolve names in a non-blocking
manner, and at this point in time I think getting that support into c-ares is
the closest way to reach that goal. And I'm quite fine with not supporting
every minor edge cases in the short term.

If it is made by calls to the native libc to accomplish parts of the
resolving, then fine. I want non-blocking resolves with no extra threads
anyway!