Re: perform() is crashing

From: Brandon Tate <brandonntate_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 08:04:18 -0400

On Aug 17, 2009, at 11:36 AM, Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Aug 2009, Brandon Tate wrote:
>
>> 1. As far as the usr/local stuff goes, I'm not sure what in there
>> is being used. I didn't build this application, I'm just charged
>> with getting the curl stuff working. Can I just rename the curl
>> files to have a different extension? Will that effectively remove
>> them?
>
> Yes.
>
>> 2. Crashing/Dying means that the applications just stops. No
>> error is thrown, nothing happens at all. It just stops. Not sure
>> how gdb works. I don't have a gdb command on the server so I'm not
>> even sure if it's installed.
>
> Then you should consider adding it. Or perhaps you can first, if you
> still experience the hang after making sure all your work is using
> the libs you intend (by clearing up the double versions), run strace
> on the app to figure out what it does when it hangs.
>
> --
>
> / daniel.haxx.se

In case anybody's curious, I solved this. There were something like 6
versions of libcurl between /usr/lib and /usr/local/lib. libcurlpp
seemed hell bent on using libcurl.so.4 which seemed to be somehow tied
to the paypal payflow sdk. When I removed the deprecated sdk stuff
from the make file libcurl.so.4 started failing during compile time
because it was missing things. The application was also for some
reason using /usr/local/lib/libcurl.so which was symlinked to version
2 or something in the /usr/lib folder.

After cleaning up the makefile and symlinking both libcurl versions
used to /usr/local/lib/libcurl.so.3 which works with the curlpp
example programs, the application stopped dying. Now I'm getting
runtime errors that it can't connect to the host, but removing all the
curl options except url solves that. Not sure which option's actually
breaking it, but solving this will be a treat compared to solving the
last one.

Thanks for you help everybody.