Re: Building libcurl for QNX

From: Michael Wood <esiotrot_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 11:41:48 +0200

2009/8/21 puneet sharma <p.sharma83_at_gmail.com>:
[...]
> configure: error: ar not found in PATH. Cannot continue without ar.
> =========
>
> I have searched through curl forum and many have reported this issue, but
> the normal recommended solution was to use the precompiled version of the
> library for the required platform. I think iam missing a component in my
> build environment. Since you have developed the configure utility, can you
> please let me know what is "ar" is it some archiving tool? where can i find
> it ?

ar is an archiving tool of sorts, yes. It is used for packaging a
bunch of .o (object) files into a static library on Unix. The GNU
toolchain includes it with the assembler (as or gas), linker (ld or
gld) amongst other things.

See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Binutils
http://www.gnu.org/software/binutils/