timeouts

From: Paul Harris <harris.pc_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 17:44:12 +0800

Hi all,

I'm getting a lot of timeouts when doing HTTP POST operations.

The scenario is:
* Windows computer, libcurl in my own app.
* Upload through an NTLM proxy (i supply the username/password)
* Delivered to a simple C cgi program on a webserver

I have been watching the traffic with MS Network Monitor, and it seems that
'hangs' or times out at various stages. I've also turned on the libcurl
debugging as demoed in debug.c

* the proxy responds asking for NTLM auth, and my app never sends it,
instead it continues to send the original POST.
* the proxy responds asking for NTLM, my app starts to send out the header,
and ... nothing happens.

This is some of what I saw in the debug log:
* it tried to post earlier, saw the NTLM request, and now ... *
CURL: INFO Re-using existing connection! (#0) with host 10.0.250.1
CURL: INFO Connected to 10.0.250.1 (10.0.250.1) port 80 (#0)
CURL: INFO Proxy auth using NTLM with user 'username'
CURL: => Send header
* nothing happens for a minute, at which point my app gives up *

I use multihandles so that I can cancel the upload when I want, but I always
open and close fresh handles whenever I do something with curl. I never do
more than one thing with curl at once, and I don't use threads...

It seems to be intermittent.

What can I try to do ? I wouldn't mind spending a little effort debugging
this issue, although I'm not able to do a lot on the computer in question.

thanks,
Paul