Re: v2 of patch to fix busy-waiting during Windows async name lookup

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 14:19:26 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 7 Sep 2009, Jamie Lokier wrote:

> Daniel Stenberg wrote:
>> On Sun, 6 Sep 2009, Constantine Sapuntzakis wrote:
>> but there's no need to mention Windows or how its select()
>> works (which probably also is something it shares with other operating
>> systems).
>
> As far as I know, the requirement to call Sleep() instead when there are no
> descriptors is unique to Windows.

Right, and that was the wrong assumption.

The situation with no descriptors also occur with the standard synchronous
name resolver on all *nix-like systems. Which is default on all linux distros
and more.

The no descriptor situation didn't exist before in Windows though, so
applications that blindly assume this will get bitten once this change goes
in.