Verifying peer with ssl connection - CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYPEER

From: Frank Mcgeough <fmcgeough_at_mac.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 08:59:30 -0400

I'm writing on a Symbian platform (5th edition SDK) and using libcurl
7.19.6 and have run into an issue with HTTPS. At the moment I'm
interested in ideas to help debug this issue. I have a working
knowledge of the libcurl code but haven't worked in the openssl code
before.

The original openssl dll that I was using (and that is supplied by the
system) returned the following from curl_version.

libcurl/7.19.6 OpenSSL/0.9.8g zlib/1.1.3

This verified my peer fine when using SSL and my supplied
CURLOPT_CAINFO file.

I've been trying on a newer (just released) device and I'm getting the
following error :

error:04077064:rsa routines:RSA_verify:algorithm mismatch

I can see the certificate coming down from the server but the client
just rejects it. The curl_version call returns this now :

libcurl/7.19.6 OpenSSL/0.9.8i zlib/1.1.3

I assume that something has changed in openssl for this platform
(obviously its a new version) that is causing this but was wondering
if I can either 1) do something about it from my side or from within
libcurl; OR 2) gather more information from within the libcurl code to
provide to the openssl team within the Symbian group. Turning off the
peer verification makes everything work but that's not an acceptable
solution for me.

Thanks,
Frank McGeough