viewvc installation Was: hi NSS friends ...

From: Yang Tse <yangsita_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 14:53:01 +0200

2009/9/22, Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> I have a fresh and updated viewvc installation up and working now.
>
> Enjoy!

Hi Daniel,

viewVC renders some things on screen differently than old viewCVS.
Some might argue that these are not important, but I find that some of
them make the difference between a useful tool and a counterproductive
toy-looking tool.

Given the fact that nowadays the maintained tool is viewVC it seems
reasonable to use it for the new installation, in hope that it can be
tailored to achieve increased productivity.

One thing that has changed is that there seems to be no way of
browsing the curl-www repository part.

The huge viewvc logo in the upper right portion of the pages could be
removed or simply replaced with a curl specific one.

I miss syntax highlighting when selecting "view" link for a file.

I don't like displaying line numbers when selecting "view", line
numbers are already available and visible for "annotate".

And last for now but probably the most important one. Overall font
selection and font sizes are not appropriate in many views giving it
the toy-looking feel I've mentioned previously and in some cases
making a specific view nearly worthless, specifically the "diff" view
which here on IE6 renders with a huge non-fixed-width font.

It is impossible to count the number of hours I have been using the
good old viewCVS at haxx.se and how useful it has been. I hope this
viewVC installation can become equally useful in not much time.

I'm no css expert, but I think that changing _all_ viewVC fonts to
fixed-width fonts could be a possible starting point.

I hope all the above doesn't harsh at all. It isn't my intention.

--
-=[Yang]=-