Re: Curl 7.19.6 CMakeLists.txt patch

From: Sukender <suky0001_at_free.fr>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 12:17:55 +0100

Le Fri, 30 Oct 2009 23:11:19 +0100, Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> a écrit:

> On Fri, 30 Oct 2009, Kamil Dudka wrote:
>
>> Well, do we actually have any other sources than "main sources"?
>
> Not really, but we have the "not in the main sources" option too! ;-)
>
>> I think branches are the way to go for such experiments. IMO we can simply
>> keep the CMake stuff in CVS, but do not distribute it with the released
>> tarball.
>
> Yeah.
>
> I admit I'm a softie so when several people really argued for the cmake stuff
> to get added, I finally gave in and thought that what the heck "prove me wrong
> and provide something that will turn out useful to a fair set of people". So
> those files were added.
>
> Now, we see that apparently the people who spoke in favour of cmake - to no
> surprise at all - have left the building and are no longer around to maintain.
> Contrary to what they said but exactly matching my fears/expectations.

Hi Daniel,

Well, what I said at the time I worked on it roughly was: "I can work on it until some events. After those events I will have very few time. So I hope people will take my work and continue".
You were right about the fact few people seem interested in CMake here. I think it's a pity since it could be useful on some points. But the fact is CMake scripts are broken now. It is with regret that I advise, as Gary, to keep the scripts out of here; it will asve you questions on the mailing list! But I think it's better to put them in a directory named "attic", "experimental", or something similar.

> As I believe the state of the cmake build system is still decent or at least
> not completely broken, I think it could be worth keeping around for a while
> longer just to see if perhaps they're all just very busy or on vacation just
> now and will return soon to fix the cmake build again.
>
> But I have little hope of that actually happening.

I just hope someone will have time to work on it... one day or another.

Cheers,

--
Sukender