Re: problem from out of the blue: can't connect via libcurl

From: Pete Wilson <pete142_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 08:25:24 -0800 (PST)

--- On Thu, 12/10/09, Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Dec 2009, Pete Wilson wrote:
>
> > Here's a table
> that compares the output of ldd for both curl and my tool:
> >
> >  http://sellmycalls.com/lib-comp.html

> Right, the difference is completely irrelevant here.

> >> That means your application uses a libcurl that
> was built
> >> without support for HTTPS.
> >
> > calls/cgi/client>curl-config --feature | grep SSL
> > SSL
>
> Now that is highly confusing and strange. Is it possible
> that you have more than one libcurl installed and that you
> get different libs at times depending on something unknown?

Thank you for the suggestion. Yes, it is possible. Although 'find / -name libcurl\.a' turns up only one copy of the lib. And if it were so, curl would fail sometimes, which I will test. It doesn't /seem/ to fail, but ... Never mind that, though -- it's something for my ISP to pursue.

> >> My advice: build your own libcurl and put it in
> your own homedir on the ISP site and use that lib instead.
> >
> Get the source tarball, unpack it, run
> configure and tell it to install it locally in your home dir
> (by using configure's --prefix option), then build it
> ("make") and install it ("make install") and rebuild your
> app to use the local install!

Astounding! The process is a thing of great beauty.

For my last question, and perhaps not /completely/ OT. Consider:

'make' of my app (client), partial output:
gcc -o client client.o -L/home/calls/cgi/libcurl/lib ... etc.

/home/calls/cgi/libcurl/lib>ls -al
total 876
drwxrwxr-x 3 calls calls 4096 Dec 10 07:36 ./
drwxrwxr-x 7 calls calls 4096 Dec 10 07:05 ../
-rw-r--r-- 1 calls calls 543492 Dec 10 07:05 libcurl.a
-rwxr-xr-x 1 calls calls 989 Dec 10 07:05 libcurl.la*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 calls calls 16 Dec 10 07:05 libcurl.so -> libcurl.so.4.1.1*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 calls calls 16 Dec 10 07:05 libcurl.so.4 -> libcurl.so.4.1.1*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 calls calls 324363 Dec 10 07:05 libcurl.so.4.1.1*
drwxrwxr-x 2 calls calls 4096 Dec 10 07:05 pkgconfig/
/home/calls/cgi/libcurl/lib>

But running the app, I get (and I believe this may go to your question about more than one libcurl.a):

client: error while loading shared libraries: libcurl.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Why should this be, do you suppose? I thought that mentioning the location of libcurl.a in the makefile would take care of anything like this. If not, how to fix?

Thank you, Daniel.

-- Pete