Re: IMAP, POP3, SMTP and their TLS siblings

From: Jan de Lint <jg.de.lint_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 13:41:42 +0100

The new protocols are as the subject says: IMAP, POP3 and SMTP. They
will include their SSL/TLS-based variations IMAPS, POP3S and SMTPS as
well as the "STARTTLS" approach to upgrade from plain connection to
SSL/TLS.

> I've now committed my first big change supporting these new protocols.
>
> They all work more or less, but my plan is now to work in-tree to get
> them working correctly and I have POP3 working in the test suite, I
> have IMAP almost working and I think getting SMTP in there should be
> fairly easy too.
>
> All "old" protocols should still work exactly like before, but since
> this is the largest change to libcurl done in quite some time I expect
> some things will need attention now.
>
> If you want to help out with getting these new protocols up to speed,
> then please go ahead try them out and get a feel for how they work and
> join in. I expect to work in CVS from now on.
This is great! Thanks a lot.
I would love to try this out.
Unfortunately building dll's is one step too far for me. For many years,
I managed to survive using the off the shelf windows dll's plus some
simple glue in VC6.
]an