Re: cURL 7.19.7 v. VMS

From: Steven M. Schweda <sms_at_antinode.info>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 09:51:22 -0600 (CST)

From: Yang Tse <yangsita_at_gmail.com>

> Regarding the README files in subdirs packages/vms/axp,
> packages/vms/ia64 and packages/vms/vax. Is the existence of these, one
> byte sized, README files just some sort of trick to ensure that the
> subdirs are packaged or later generated upon extraction?

   I believe so.

> This patch
> would leave them with a zero size, would this fool the above purpose?
> Or on the other hand we can get rid of the three files, and even
> further the three subdirs?

   The new builder should create its product directories as needed, so
there is now no reason to include these directories (or their README
files) in the kit. (The new zero size is probably an artifact of the
particular "diff" operation which was used to create the patch.)

> Regarding packages/vms/ldap.opt, should its contents be uppercase as
> it is done for other packages/vms/*.opt files? Or doesn't really
> matter?

   It shouldn't matter, but it'd probably make more sense if it looked
like the others.

> The patch also enables LDAP support as default build configuration.
> Will it build in this way on any VMS system, or at least in most of
> them?

   It does? I thought that it was a command-like option, with the
default being no LDAP. LDAP should be available on recent (2003 or so?)
non-VAX systems, but I wouldn't enable it by default.

   Also, while on the subject of VAX/non-VAX, I notice that src/main.c
and lib/setup.h say this:

      # if defined(__VMS) && (defined(__alpha) || defined(__ia64))

I claim that these would have more long-term potential as:

      # if defined(__VMS) && !defined(__VAX)