Re: cURL 7.19.7 v. VMS

From: Steven M. Schweda <sms_at_antinode.info>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 10:24:34 -0600 (CST)

From: Yang Tse <yangsita_at_gmail.com>

> Which is the proper data type that the second argument of function
> getnameinfo should have on VMS. Is it arch, RTL or compiler dependant?
> There is an outstanding FIXME for the definition of
> GETNAMEINFO_TYPE_ARG2 in config-vms.h.

   Around here (convenient Alpha, VMS V8.3), <netdb.h> says:

      int getnameinfo (const struct sockaddr *, size_t, char *, size_t,
       char *, size_t, int);

Now, it says that only "#if __CRTL_VER >= 70300000", so the whole
"#define HAVE_GETNAMEINFO 1" thing is probably a lie for VMS before
V7.3. I run things older than V7.3 only on (old) VAXes, and I don't
have one up at the moment, so I hesitate to suggest the proper
conditionality (arch, RTL) to use here. Shouldn't depend on the
compiler, at least.

   In the old days, third-party IP software tended to supply its own
IP-network-related header files, so questions like this could be hard to
answer, but I believe that most folks now use the DEC/Compaq/HP-supplied
header files, so it should be easier to get one right answer for
everyone (more or less).

   I'll try to wake up a VAX later, and see what's true there.

   I didn't look very closely at all those HAVE_xxx things, to see how
much of it was true (when and where). If portability to VMS versions
before V7.3 mattered to anyone, then I'd guess that you'd be getting
more complaints. (Of course, not defining HAVE_STRICMP didn't seem to
buy me much.)

> The patch also enables LDAP support as default build configuration.

   Ah. You were probably fooled by this in "packages/vms/config-vms.h":
      /* #define CURL_DISABLE_LDAP 1 */

Fear not. The builder should be defining it unless the user explicitly
requests "LDAP".