Re: cURL 7.19.7 v. VMS

From: Steven M. Schweda <sms_at_antinode.info>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 22:08:13 -0600 (CST)

From: Yang Tse <yangsita_at_gmail.com>

> Regarding vms_misc.c I have the feeling, probably wrong, that
> decc_init() its support definitions and code in vms_misc.c has the
> purpose of specifically tailoring the curl tool (curl.exe) and not the
> libcurl library.

   Hmmm. Good point. (Oh, ye of little confidence.)

> If the above assumption is right, wouldn't it be possible to refactor
> vms_misc.c among src/os-specific.c and src/os-specific.h? If this
> would be possible it would even save referencing vms_misc from
> build_vms.com

   I see no problem with including the vms_misc.c code in
"src/os-specific.c". (No need to bother "src/os-specific.h".) The
simplified LINK command would say:

   'objdir'curlsrc.olb /library /include = (main, curlmsg), -
   'objdir'curllib.olb /library -

> If not possible to refactor it into src/os-specific.c and
> src/os-specific.h but is actually only for curl tool purposes then
> placing it in the 'src' subdir would be more appropriate.

   Also possible. The LINK command would then need to say:

   'objdir'curlsrc.olb /library /include = (main, curlmsg, vms_misc), -
   'objdir'curllib.olb /library -

Moving the stuff into "src/os-specific.c" seems to me simpler. Seems to
work, too.

   Revised stuff:

      http://antinode.info/ftp/curl/curl-7_19_7/src/os-specific.c
      http://antinode.info/ftp/curl/curl-7_19_7/curl-7_19_7_s2.dru

      http://antinode.info/ftp/curl/curl-7_19_7/packages/vms/build_vms.com
      http://antinode.info/ftp/curl/curl-7_19_7/curl-7_19_7_s3.dru

   My motto: Complaints are always welcome. (Good ideas, even more so.)