Libcurl and c-ares

From: Adrian Michel <adrian_at_amichel.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 17:02:00 -0800

This is a follow-up to my previous post about async cancelation of a DNS
lookup.

1. Building libcurl with c-ares support.

As suggested by Daniel, I defined USE_ARES in the libcurl project and built
it. There were no compiler or link errors, so I assume libcurl has built-in
c-ares support and it doesn't require any additional h or lib files. Could
you please confirm this. BTW, why doesn't libcurl use ares by default?

2. Using c-ares within curl

I ran the app with the new dll and I didn't notice any obvious difference,
which is what I expected. Now, what are the enhancements that I could take
advantage of at the libcurl API level? Are there new functions or callbacks
that I can use to do async cancel, or to get progress status during a
lengthy DNS request?

Thanks all,

Adrian