Re: tsocks (transparent socks) vs. libcurl

From: Cláudio Sampaio <patola_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 08:17:39 -0200

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 7:56 AM, Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Jan 2010, Cláudio Sampaio wrote:
>
> Any of you has any clue with my WWW::Curl program is not working with
>> transparent socks in Ubuntu Linux?
>>

> Isn't this rather a question to the tsocks people? I don't know tsocks
> details so I really can't tell.

I don't know, maybe it is, but I think it's the same to every transparent
socks application (like, say, dante): you use LD_LIBRARY_PATH to divert from
the connect() call.

> Why use tsocks at all in the first place? libcurl has SOCKS support on its
> own...

Because it's socks5, not socks4... Curl doesn't support socks5, does it?

> Connecting directly through telnet is working, but through libcurl is not:
>>

> Can you do it with the plain curl tool? If so, then the problem is somehow
> in your app/the perl solution, and if you can't then the problem is truly in
> libcurl or tsocks.

No, it doesn't :(

[patola@ubuntola grabber]% tsocks curl -v https://myapp.myintranet.net
* About to connect() to myapp.myintranet.net port 443 (#0)
* Trying 10.10.10.10... Timeout
* couldn't connect to host
* Closing connection #0
curl: (7) couldn't connect to host
[patola_at_ubuntola grabber]% tsocks telnet myapp.myintranet.net 443
Trying 10.10.10.10...
Connected to myapp.
Escape character is '^]'.
^]quit

telnet> quit
Connection closed.
[patola_at_ubuntola grabber]%

Thanks very much for the response! Any ideas on what to do next? File a bug
with the tsocks people? Or is there anything I could do with libcurl to fix
it?

Cláudio