Re: tsocks (transparent socks) vs. libcurl

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 12:58:49 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010, Cláudio Sampaio wrote:

> I tried with libcurl's socks5 options and it worked fine. So it is libcurl
> itself that somehow disallows transparent proxying.

I wouldn't characterize the problem like that. I claim that libcurl is just
using non-blocking sockets exactly as it should and it follows the well-used
sockets API, so if tsocks has a problem with libcurl I would say that the
problem isn't in libcurl.

But this said, if you can tell us if there's anything in particular we can
change to make libcurl more tsocks-friendly then please do.

> Nevertheless, as my program runs in both Windows and Linux and it
> traditionally uses transparent socks

libcurl also runs on both Windows and Linux and it supports SOCKS on both...

> it there any way to do transparent socks (the LD_LIBRARY_PATH kind, in
> Linux) work with libcurl?

Again, this is rather a tsocks issue and not a libcurl issue. libcurl doesn't
even know what LD_LIBRARY_PATH is nor could it even affect it if we would
know.

Besides, tsocks uses LD_PRELOAD and not LD_LIBRARY_PATH.