Re: FTP, mkdir and escaping invalid characters

From: Nick Jensen <nickrjensen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 16:45:52 -0500

>> The CURLOPT for FTP_CREATE_MISSING_DIRS seems to work pretty well across
>> multiple platforms. The directories get created correctly, regardless of
>> whitespace and/or special characters. So there has to be some kind of string
>> sanitizing happening there, right? Maybe I could apply this same logic on my
>> custom MKD command strings? Could anyone point me in the right direction for
>> this code?
>
> No, it makes no "sanitizing" since there is no such thing needed really
> according to the FTP spec. MKD commands are issued the same way - with the
> path part being the same - as CWD commands are.
>
> If you enable CURLOPT_VERBOSE you can easily check that out yourself!

I turned on CURLOPT_VERBOSE and you're right. The MKD commands do not
escape spaces and everything works fine. So I isolated the code that
sends the quote commands and tried again:

    struct curl_slist *headers = NULL;

    char mkdir[] = "MKD folder with spaces";

    headers = curl_slist_append(headers, mkdir);

    curl_easy_setopt(handle, CURLOPT_QUOTE, headers);

    result = curl_easy_perform(handle);

...works just fine. I guess the problem was elsewhere in my code.

Thanks
Nick