Re: ftp enhancement - FTP wildcard download

From: Jani Kajala <jani_at_kajala.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 16:51:59 +0700

First I'm sorry to jump in the middle of discussion but instead of
wildcards, wouldn't it be better to implement that on client side and just
have only functionality to request a list of files of a single directory
from libcurl? It's simple to request a list of files and loop the subdirs
recursively anyway, right?

Also, error handling becomes more difficult when wildcards are involved,
since if error happens, you probably want to know a) which files were
processed b) which file caused error, so it supports the idea that
application would keep things "under control" anyway. You can of course
provide some kind of callback to get similar result, but you get more messy
implementation instead of handling the recursion fully on client side.

Besides, simple * or ? patterns might not be enough for application anyway,
and I can imagine many users preferring regular expressions, which again
would work nicely if app implements the functionality...

Disclaimer: Sorry if I commented on already closed topics (just ignore my
comments if I did), just my 2c on the topic.

Br,
Jani