clarification about maxdownload vs. size

From: Chris Conroy <Chris.Conroy_at_hillcrestlabs.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 14:36:54 -0500

struct SingleRequest has two variables that serve two very similar
purposes, size and maxdownload. Here are the comments at their
declaration.

curl_off_t size; /* -1 if unknown at this point */

curl_off_t maxdownload; /* in bytes, the maximum amount of data to
fetch,-1 means unlimited */

Yet, in tracing through the code, they seem to be used fairly
interchangeably. I am curious what the real distinction between the two
of them is because it's not abundantly clear to me why there should be
two separate variables given that they seem to (almost?) always be set
to the same value.

--Chris