HTTPS requests through a proxy without tunneling?

From: Steve Bernacki <curl_at_f.copacetic.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 12:09:26 -0500

Hi,

I am working on implementing a filtering web proxy, and would like to
instruct libcurl to issue straight https requests to my proxy, rather
than initiating the normal CONNECT <host>:443 requests. For example, if
I attempt to perform a GET on a https resource, libcurl connects to my
proxy and issues:

CONNECT remote.host:443 HTTP/1.0
Host: remote.host:443

I'd like instead to have curl connect to my proxy and issue:

GET https://remote.host:443/ HTTP/1.0
Host: remote.host:443

Which will allow the proxy to initiate the HTTPS request and perform
certificate validation, etc.

Is there any way to coerce curl into doing this? I am using 7.15.5.

Thanks for your help.
Steve