Re: CURLOPT_ENCODING (was: Blocking variant of curl_multi_perform)

From: Olaf van der Spek <olafvdspek_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 11:21:21 +0100

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 2:16 AM, Gary Maxwell <gmaxwell_at_casabi.com> wrote:
> Olaf van der Spek intoned on Wednesday, March 10, 2010 4:10 PM:
>>
>> Yes, I understand your case. Although in that case the code wouldn't
>> change much. You'd just disable that header instead of enable it in
>> certain cases.
>>

> Are you asking people to change existing, stable code which works fine right now? That may be fine if the original developer is still around, not so fine if the remaining developers treat libcurl and the code which accesses it as a black box.

No, I'm asking people to fix their server configs.

>> So because some servers don't have proper logic to decide on
>> compression, we should disable compression in the client by default?
>>

> Interesting you should pose this as a rhetorical question when compression is already disabled by default.
>
> Some clients (mine) do not use compression, and will never use compression due to memory footprint issues and small size (1K ~ 8K) of the datasets downloaded with libcurl.

To me, it seems perfectly reasonable to compress 8 kb (assuming it can
be significantly compressed).

>> Why?
>> Instead of code to enable it in some cases, you have code to disable
>> it in the other cases.
>>

> It adds complexity for existing libcurl users who will be forced to modify their libcurl application when they upgrade the library, which in turn adds additional regression testing.

Only when the server's config is wrong.

> It adds complexity when applications suddenly break when the libcurl library is silently upgraded as part of an automatic update for servers and desktops.

Again, IMO, that's a server-side bug. If apps fail due to this, it
might be a good idea to fix stuff regardless.

Olaf