let curl automatically choose download for octet streams?

From: Guenter <lists_at_gknw.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 14:02:06 +0100

Hi,
I just faced again a usual stupid user error where I get a binary
content displayed instead of stored ....
usually this happens to me when I first check for a directory listing to
see what files are available, and then just append the filename without
adding -O, f.e.:
curl ftp://server.in.the.wild/directory/
<received directory listing>
curl ftp://server.in.the.wild/directory/myfile.bin

and content gets displayed to stdout ....
I know, very stupid mistake, but I cant believe that I am the only one
to whom this frequently happens ....
I've not yet checked source if this might be easy to implement, but just
thought that we could at least if we get a header 'octet stream' which
clearly identifies binary content automatically imply -O so the content
gets stored to a file instead of displayed to stdout; or am I missing
something? Is this a bad idea?

Gün.