Re: After the first twelve years

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 19:41:04 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010, Craig A. Berry wrote:

> But if git-friendly submissions are preferred though not required, there's no
> reduction in accessibility to anyone who isn't git-savvy.

Exactly. That's the way I want us to go, and quite frankly that's pretty much
how we've been working in the past too so there's no change really.

> It *is* important to make the source is available in some fashion that
> doesn't require git. github provides snapshots, but the latest commit ID is
> only available from the archive filename, not anywhere in the contents of
> the snapshot. Creating dependencies on the commit ID in the build toolchain
> is best avoided, though can be dealt with in various ways.

github offer downloadable snapshots from any commit, and I also intend to keep
putting up daily tarballs so I don't think we sacrifice the newbies too much.

Actually, we _can_ even provide a CVS read-only checkout ability for those who
still would prefer that to make occasional patches, by using git-cvsserver.