Re: the git repo

From: Yang Tse <yangsita_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 09:08:00 +0100

2010/3/22, Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Mar 2010, Yang Tse wrote:
>
> > For now we the European Union citizens are ACTA free. The same as USA ones
> should be.
> >

> Well, first out the primary development is done by people in various
> countries so the development origins won't change.

True.

> The thing that changes is
> in what country the primary server is located when people checkout the
> source code. I agree that this may actually cause some "fun" in terms of
> regulations, laws and stupid export craziness.

Exactly. Whether if we like it or not, the fact is that country
borders exist and that different degrees of protectionism exist, the
same as different rules for persons, services, goods and money apply
when country borders are crossed. If we do, knowingly or not, whatever
someone has chosen is wrong behavior at some location we'll most
likely suffer some sort of 'correction'.

100 years ago freedom of speech and communication was only possible
using traditional means, voice and written media, so those trying to
limit freedom only had to bother about spying your neighbour and
banning or burning books.

Later on they also had to tap individual telephone calls, nowadays
they simply have big computers that monitor _all_ telephone calls,
thing which happens on nearly all countries, democratic or not.

For example in Spain such system is named SITEL and, besides
monitoring, it records all phone calls, both mobile and POTS, which
have Spain as origin or destination, as well as all internet traffic.
Yes, Big Brother lives in Spain, we all know it exists and the Spanish
Parliament has long time ago happily acknowledged that is being used
even without a proper legal regulation. These kind of systems are
being used all over the globe no matter if citizens are aware of it or
not.

All countries which are interested in limiting freedom of speech and
communication and controlling which internet content is 'acceptable'
for their citizens not only have these kind of systems in place they
also enforce technical and legal internet-country firewall rules,
creating endogamic sub-internets with limited access to the real
thing.

Having the main repository at one country or another makes a
difference for all of us whether we like it or not. Each country has
its own laws, or not so clear rules, and means to enforce them.

A free tool or a library that is capable of providing a vast amount of
communication protocols which is already being used in an increasing
number of free tools and OS's, as well as closed source ones, for any
imaginable purpose, should probably try to stay clear of potential
legal problems.

Since I'm nearly git illiterate, I'm not in a position to recommend an
alternative European or Swedish git hosting provider.

An alternative could be to keep the main repo at haxx.se for
committers, nightly snapshots and release tarballs, and have GitHub
follow the main repo for everything else. But I don't know if this
would fit your plans or even if it is tecnically possible.

--
-=[Yang]=-