Re: curl-commits mailing list usefulness, and some git rambling

From: Yang Tse <yangsita_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 10:50:11 +0100

2010/3/25, Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> Are you referring to the revision number inside the files that CVS can keep
> there? Yes, that is indeed useful but in reality only a very small fraction
> of people ever cared about those and I would assume that most of the people
> in that small fraction are among the persons who now know how to use git.

Yes I was referring to 'that' revision number.

But my comments were not specifically addressed for libcurl nor I
intended to transmit that libcurl would loose something important
without it, although it was usefull in detecting outdated serial
numbers in *.m4 files.

My comments were addressed at a more general usage of git, not libcurl related.

> git is a developer's tool while it may not be that fancy and "user
> friendly", using the hashes as references simplify a lot and make perfect
> sense to me. I rather think lots of that is part of git's elegance.
>
> A matter of taste and religion of course.

I find that GUIDs and/or hashes are not a matter of user
unfriendliness, IMO they are simply human unfriendly.

But as you say, it may be a matter of taste :-P

--
-=[Yang]=-