Re: curl-commits mailing list usefulness, and some git rambling

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 11:22:13 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010, Marco Maggi wrote:

> Sorry to put my nose into this

No worries, this is a discussion everyone can join!

> but what exactly do you need them for? I think that views like [1] let you
> see the diff in a nice way; and if you pull the changes from a branch, you
> can examine them locally with "git diff". Is it because you do prefer mail
> to web pages and terminals?

It is because I "live" so much through email - I have 28 inboxes, I subscribe
to 100+ mailing lists, I get several thousand legitimate emails every day and
I filter off up to ten thousand spam emails every day.

As I get notified with email that something is changed, I want to be able to
also review the particular change without having to go elsewhere that involves
further commands or clicks or mouse usage. I do this in a vast number of
projects, and it works very good for me.

It also helps that I read mail like from 7:00 in the morning until after
midnight, repeatedly over the day, all days, all year around. And if I'm on
the move, I read the mail on my phone.

I'm not saying it is the right thing for everyone, but I've learned to
appreciate this approach and I've learned to streamline my environment after
my habits and preferences to maximize my performance and waste less time on
unrelated stuff. So it's primarily for my own selfish reasons!