Re: autobuilds switch to git and adjust for c-ares

From: Tor Arntsen <tor_at_spacetec.no>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 17:10:23 +0100

On 24/03/2010, Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:

> ... but the short story is that you simply can do this in the directory
> where
> the old curl checkout is living:
>
> $ rm -rf curl
> $ git clone git://github.com/bagder/curl.git

I have one of my setups converted (with a couple of caveats, see below).
The first Git-autobuild from me:
http://curl.haxx.se/auto/log.cgi?id=20100325150850-11519

[..]
> If you have autobuilds that test with c-ares enabled, you need to make some
> changes since the c-ares source tree is no longer living within the curl
> repository. It has its own little git repository now.
>
> You then _either_ make a symlink named 'ares' within the curl source tree to
> point to the c-ares source tree root, to make it appear like it did before,

I checked out c-ares inside curl, and made a symlink c-ares -> ares.
BTW, you didn't mention the URL I believe, I used
git://github.com/bagder/c-ares.git

My comments:

1) Now that I have ares inside curl I expect the builds with ares to
work as before. But the updated testcurl.pl script won't update the
ares (c-ares) directory, (unlike the previous cvs-based setup), how do
we best handle this?

2) The testcurl.pl script used 'git log --oneline', but some of my
servers (in particular the non-linux ones) have Git version older than
the relatively recent one which added that function. However, it's
just a short-form of '--pretty=oneline --abbrev-commit', so I created
a patch which changed that. (The build linked to above includes that
patch). The old 1.5.0 version of Git I used in the build above
produces a slightly different output, but should be OK anyway. Later
versions produce exactly the same output with --pretty.. as the
--oneline version.

3) The output from git log, when printed with 'logit', results in
double newlines. I made another patch which fixes that. The (soon)
incoming autobuilds (irix 6.5.8) will include that fix, as I for the
current moment build from my branch.

I've attached the two patches.

-Tor