Re: curl-commits mailing list usefulness, and some git rambling

From: Jamie Lokier <jamie_at_shareable.org>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 03:08:25 +0000

Yang Tse wrote:
> > git is a developer's tool while it may not be that fancy and "user
> > friendly", using the hashes as references simplify a lot and make perfect
> > sense to me. I rather think lots of that is part of git's elegance.
> >
> > A matter of taste and religion of course.
>
> I find that GUIDs and/or hashes are not a matter of user
> unfriendliness, IMO they are simply human unfriendly.

I agree they're not human friendly, although they do turn out to be
quite script friendly and mouse friendly, and ok to type because you
can get away with typing the first few characters.

Thing is, I'm not sure what else they could use, while permitting
offline updates and peer symmetry.

Git does provide named tags, which are very handy for things that have
real human version numbers like releases.

-- Jamie