Re: PATCH/RFC: Add option to compile with -Werror, fix build on 64-bit Linux.

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 19:15:47 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010, Ben Greear wrote:

> It also fixes all compile warnings on 64-bit Fedora 11 Linux, compiles clean
> on 32-bit FC8 as well.

Thanks for your help with this, we certainly want to make all compiler
warnings disappear.

I'm very curious to first get to see the warnings. We run autobuilds non-stop,
and while I don't think we have any Fedora machines in the mix right now we
don't have many warnings on Linux machines with gcc. Clearly you've found a
whole bunch more than the ones we've seen at:

         http://curl.haxx.se/auto/

(the situation is a bit unclear right now since we're in the transition of
moving them all over to git)

Is there any chance you could help us out by running autobuilds for a while on
your machine (or a similar setup)?

> The ssh changes are the most risky and in need of review, and may have
> issues on other platforms and/or version of libssh.

I'm not happy with the mixed changes in the patch.

You include changes for the telnet patch you've submitted but we haven't dealt
with on the master branch, and you change which libssh2 functions are used.
While I don't disagree with the changing of the libssh2 calls from their
macros to the actual functions, I would prefer to have that change done in a
separate patch/commit.

I also think a few of the typecasts you did could rather be fixed by changing
the prototypes to avoid the typecast. Examples: the 'err' variable in
lib/ssh.c should rather be an unsigned long instead of an int and
Curl_smtp_escape_eob() could be made to use a ssize_t variable as its second
argument.