CHANGES, manual or automatic?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 23:53:34 +0200 (CEST)

Hi

I've tried to think over what we should do with CHANGES and RELEASE-NOTES and
if we perhaps can generate them instead of manually edit them, to save us from
work.

But CHANGES is not a complete changelog of all changes. "git log" contains
MUCH more details. If we wanted to generate CHANGES with git, we'd have to
somehow mark sections of commit messages as suitable for CHANGES so that the
unsuitable parts could be skipped. I want CHANGES to remain a fairly detailed
log explain what we did and when, but it doesn't have to mention everything,
like comment fixes, white space edits, spellfixes and things like that, that
no reader will care about.

For RELEASE-NOTES, we could also use dedicated tags or markup in commit
messages. I of course want RELEASE-NOTES done to have a short text and
overview explaining briefly what the major news and bugfixes are in a
particular release.

But I deem such a markup-in-commit-meesages method much error prone and it'll
be annoying to enforce. I also think that the way we handle CHANGES now has
clear pros as we can easily fix spelling mistakes or fill in info for past
changes without going through hoops.

So, I've decided that for now at least, we'll stick with having CHANGES and
RELEASE-NOTES edited manually.