Re: Cost behind setting of SSL options on libcurl handle again and again.

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 16:28:00 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 7 Apr 2010, Shivanand wrote:

> To extend the class for SSL transfer, I am thinking of initializing SSL
> options in Connect method it self. This will result in setting of SSL
> options again and again for each Connection. Is this a costly task (costly
> in terms of socket handling and resource open/close) of setting the SSL
> options or is it light weight thing?
>
> Please let me know the issues that could be costly if I follow this method.

Setting the options is very cheap. As long as libcurl has a previous
connection already kept alive, it will allow re-use of it as long as your have
options set that are compatible.

If there are no connection to re-use, libcurl will use it's session-id cache
to speed up SSL reconnects.

Only if the two approaches above fails, libcurl will make a fresh new SSL
handshake - and that is relatively "expensive".