Re: Support of the Web Socket protocol - API

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 13:52:20 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 4 May 2010, Alexandre Morgaut wrote:

> IETF still shows the draft 75 as the more recent one:
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-hixie-thewebsocketprotocol/
>
> But sure that if the draft 76 breaks compatibility and people are working to
> implement it, it should be the one to look after...
> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-socket-protocol/

Right, anyone who wants to get their feet wet with WebSockets at this point
and tries to keep current with it also gets a free subscription to the
protocol standards soap opera and how (not) to do standardization.
Unfortunately there's no escape from that, but hopefully it'll just
automatically fix itself over time.

> The first requirement would be to support the initial handshake, text
> frames, and the closing frame

> The second would be to support cookies

> The third would be a first support of binary frames (Implementors don't wait
> for a stable draft, the draft is made stable from implementation feedbacks
> ;-) )

I agree. I would also insert that all these steps are best accomplished by
first writing up a rough server implementation so that test cases can be
written and tested while then working on and polishing the client-side
implementation.