Re: Implementing OAuth support into curl?

From: Viksit Gaur <vik.list.nutch_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 10:09:52 -0700

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 12:22 AM, Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:
> On Thu, 6 May 2010, Viksit Gaur wrote:
>
>> I wanted to get the list's opinion on whether implementing OAuth support
>> into curl would be a good idea. Given that curl is a utility that is heavily
>> used to test protected web resources, and currently supports a plethora of
>> authentication mechanisms - I think it would make sense for it to have built
>> in support for OAuth as well.
>
> Let's do it. As mentioned on IRC I believe oauth needs some crypto
> algorithms present so we probably need to make oauth support dependent on an
> underlying crypto lib pretty much in the same way NTLM currently is.

Excellent! Would you have pointers to which libraries in particular
would be good to look at for this?

> I guess a good start would be to find out a good test server to work out the
> quirks against so that we can get the basics working, and then create test
> cases for the normal test suite after that.

I think Twitter would be a good test bed to try it out on - for
instance, testing out a timeline that requires OAuth (and IIRC they
will deprecate support for basic http auth soon). We can sort out the
details of a test server/username on IRC, and document them somewhere.

Cheers