status of win32 support

From: Guenter <lists_at_gknw.net>
Date: Sat, 08 May 2010 05:48:44 +0200

Hi all,
as it seems we meanwhile rely on ws2_32.dll (unconditionally?), and we
(always?) link against it, and that means the minimum supported win32
platform is Windows 2000 (ok form my side, no prob for me to drop W9x
support). Now I just fixed a warning inside telnet.c with two unused
vars with win32 builds, and found a crappy ifdef'd winsock part there
which checks for ws2_32 and loads it dynamically at runtime! I'm too
lazy right now to check what would happen if this code is executed when
the lib is already linked with ws2_32 and then tries to load it again
dynamically; but even if this isnt a prob and win32 APIs handle this
case - why do we need it still? Is it just a forgotten leftover? Or do
we still support W9x, and ws2_32 is not yet mandatory?
Perhaps someone knows, and can exlain further?

Gün.