Re: status of win32 support

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 9 May 2010 00:05:50 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 8 May 2010, Guenter wrote:

> as it seems we meanwhile rely on ws2_32.dll (unconditionally?), and we
> (always?) link against it, and that means the minimum supported win32
> platform is Windows 2000 (ok form my side, no prob for me to drop W9x
> support).

Ah. I wasn't really aware of that, but perhaps time has come for us to drop
the older stuff just because it becomes troublesome to do current versions
fine while keeping the old working.

I'm generally of the opinion that we keep older versions working for as long
as there's no great pain involved to maintain it, but then I'm also very
little into Windows so I can't speak for this situation properly.

I guess if someone really wants libcurl to keep working on pre-2000 Windows,
he/she should consider making his/hers voice heard now.

> this isnt a prob and win32 APIs handle this case - why do we need it still?
> Is it just a forgotten leftover? Or do we still support W9x, and ws2_32 is
> not yet mandatory? Perhaps someone knows, and can exlain further?

Well, the drop of W9x support hasn't been explicit. Probably because we
generally lack active developers on this list who're running and using
Windows.

I think the approach forwards is that we make the drop of W9x explicit, we
update the INTERNALs document about that detail and we fix that "thing" in the
telnet code. Or is there another opinion?