Re: Question on c-ares configuration in libcurl.

From: Ben Greear <greearb_at_candelatech.com>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 13:40:07 -0700

On 05/20/2010 01:23 PM, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Thu, 20 May 2010, Phil Blundell wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure that adding a mechanism which is explicitly for c-ares
>> would be all that wholesome. Is this for your query source address
>> binding thing? If so, you might do better to just add some kind of
>> generic CURLOPT_DNS_QUERY_SOURCE_ADDRESS option and let the various
>> DNS backends implement it as they wish.

That's fine with me...I'll make sure the names end up generic.
Aside from c-ares, are there any other DNS backends supported by
curl that would support local binding?

> I agree.
>
> And for this particular feature, perhaps it makes sense to let
> CURLOPT_INTERFACE bind the resolver's local end as well? I mean if you
> care about where the resolver traffic goes out, don't you also most
> often want the same control and interface for the actual subsequent
> protocol traffic?

I don't think you can re-use, because you may want to bind only
http and not DNS (we've used it like this for years, so I don't
want to all of a sudden force people to have a working DNS on
test networks that are handling URLs).

Also, it looks like I'll need to add API to set the DNS
servers and possibly other ARES things. I'm cooking
some patches now..but lots of integration and up down
the libraries, so taking a bit of time to get it working!

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb_at_candelatech.com>